Portfolio

Thursday, April 29, 2010

Employees Only - Artist Mind Tricks

I know, I know...more filler. I suck.

I actually had an idea worked out for a comic today. Unfortunately, I was delusional enough to think it was a good idea. Perhaps sensing what corner I painted myself into, I brushed the idea past my brothers who each gave less than enthusiastic responses to it. But of course, by then I had already worked on the drawing up to the point of actually inking it and...well, I couldn't create a good replacement for today without seeing the sun rise as I finished it. What was the idea? It had to do with the whole Gizmodo/iPhone fiasco that's been in the news. I won't even attempt at telling you my lackluster punchline, which maybe we all can be glad about.

So, you guys get the intended artwork as a filler comic, and I once again consider how it is I'm supposed to do these comics and not suck at it.

One of the things I have discovered about doing these comics is that I no longer feel miserable about my art career, but while the act of working on something I want to work on is almost medicinal, not having perfected the time management is now a new worry. The whole point of this venture is to be happy about my career's direction, and it's important that I take the overall satisfaction I derive into consideration. Yet, as I type this I'm thinking about how I really haven't done anything at all with my other artwork projects...

...and that can't continue.

For those of you who have faithfully come around to see what I dished up, I don't want to let you down. It's important to keep you guys happy and if possible entertained, so I want to deliver on that consistently if I can.  I'll take more time to figure this out, but instead of comics every Tuesday and Thursday it may fall to comics every Thursday and artwork updates every Tuesday - updates of things like my paintings, pastels, watercolors and the like. Hell, I know no one reads the rants, but I'd like to write more of them too.

Look on the bright side though - one of these things will eventually become my full time income and that means I can quit my current full time job and dedicate myself completely to this stuff. On that day En•Blog will become a completely different beast altogether.

Until then, I'll go about my business, and move along.

-ic