Portfolio

Tuesday, April 06, 2010

Employees Only - Riding the Luck Lion

I'm hoping the Neverending Story reference comes through along with the Wind Waker Reference...but just typing that makes me wonder if this comic bit off more than it could chew. Ah well, it was hilarious in my head, and I wasn't even drunk at the time!

And so we've reached the last comic in the application. As both you and I now know, the only audience these comics were fated to be seen by was you; and I'm not saying that in the Royal "You" sense...it's probably only you who's actually reading this right now. Which isn't such a bad thing, especially because I'm just starting out (for the seventh time).

I've been reading up on the trade of webcomics in general via a fantastic book by four artists I admire called How to Make Webcomics. It so far hasn't exactly encouraged me that webcomics are going to solve all of my problems, yet I'm still interested in seeing how far my resolve to create them will take me.

It's safe to say that I envy what webcomics have done for others out there in internet land, and I'm not just talking about the big players who have actually lived off their work.  Last Thursday when I was preparing this post I came across two comics that put into perspective just what is possible for anyone who really puts their heart and soul into these things. It isn't just that opportunity opens up for some, or that they meet people who they wouldn't have met otherwise, or that a great majority of them are happy doing it - I'm learning slowly that none of that really matters. People don't get into webcomics because they expect all of those things to happen, they do them because they enjoy doing them. It really is simple as that.

I don't know if that applies to me though, which is disappointing in a way, but not in a way that would make a difference; I enjoy doing so many damn things that my problem is how do I feel good about doing webcomics regularly along with all this other crap, which really is the root of the problem. If I can pull off the regular contribution thing, the art will get better, the comedy (might) find an audience that doesn't need apologies and explanations at the beginning of these posts. What is more important is that I keep enjoying the act of making them.

If I manage to post something Thursday you'll find out if I was successful for this week at the very least! Until then...

-ic