Portfolio

Thursday, April 22, 2010

Employees Only - The Upsale

I remember getting trained on up-selling when I started my first job at the movie theater, and I'm sure all of you know what I'm talking about with that. How many times have you heard the phrase, "A large is only a dollar more?" I like to think I've built up an immunity to the up-sale, where inside my head a little siren goes off yelling, "YOU DON'T NEED A LARGE! YOU WON'T EAT IT!"

Obviously it works though, otherwise they'd have stopped doing it a long time ago. Now it's gotten to the point where a suggestion sale is even on gas pumps...and I'm thinking it won't end with that. Douglas Adams' vision of moody doors and hesitant elevators perhaps isn't far off, and sadly the conversations we'll begin to have with machines will become much more involved.

Frankly, I'd kind of like to see an LA Story sort of scenario where I'm guided to true love by a gas pump if it comes to that. At least that would be worth the attitude I have to put up with.

See you all next week!

-ic