Portfolio

Wednesday, June 30, 2010

Employees Only - Celebrating Workplace Diversity

I'm all for being respectful of others, but have you ever thought about what the hell you talk about that isn't somehow disrespectful? Forget trying to tell a joke - they're almost always at someone or something's expense...and I imagine it's only awhile before some PETA fanatic won't allow me to tell a joke about the chicken crossing the road because it's disrespectful of chickens.

I know there is a line to cross eventually when it comes to offending others versus simply having a good laugh about how stupid blondes are; but who knows where to draw that line? Now, when it comes to employers, the quote "Celebrating Workplace Diversity" is about as euphemistic as you can be and still say, "We're scared s******* of being sued." But hey, it is easier than actually trying to bring about world peace, so I can't really blame them.

I for one prefer to decide upon intent when I decide if I'm insulted, which again isn't great, but there you go. I figure, if you actually mean to insult me, and manage to tell a joke doing it, at least you aren't giving me the finger. Otherwise, I'll show how much I don't appreciate your humor by not laughing.

-ic

* To a fan in a Darth Vader costume (on the chestbar):
"So this is to help you breathe yes? And which of these buttons calls your parents to pick you up?" -Triumph the Insult Comic Dog