Portfolio

Thursday, June 17, 2010

Employees Only - Target Demographic

My head is buzzing with all the news from E3 this week, and I'm super excited to get my hands on some of the new titles being thrown out. Well, I should say that I'm super excited to get my hands on some of the Nintendo titles being thrown out - Xbox is coming up a bit dry this year.

Not that I won't strongly consider upgrading to a newer, shinier, and slimmer Xbox 360, but what a downer to see what they've done so far with Natal! The line up for the Kinect release games isn't the sort of list that gets someone like me waiting in lines at Gamestop - clearly they're looking for a broader, family market. Such is the case of Kinectimals, where I believe Microsoft is hoping to catch the attention of children and possibly furries.

I can't blame them for trying to broaden out their reach; Nintendo is being bought by all sorts of people and Sony and Microsoft are clearly just trying to play catch up to the Wii's unique user interface. But what a disappointment so far for the Kinect! Where are all the cool demo ideas that were shown last year - like skateboarding and fighting games? Perhaps they're still under development? As far as controlling video with Kinect...I don't really care that much. What they need is to get me excited with some killer app - so when will that arrive?

I think Kinect is really about to become something that isn't confined to the Xbox 360, but is instead integrated into how we interact with computers and other devices. For right now, I'm willing to sit aside while five year old girls get to play with adorable animated kittens, but here's hoping that Microsoft becomes a bit more ambitious with the device over the next year.

-ic