Portfolio

Thursday, July 08, 2010

Employees Only - Worth the Price of Admission

Ah to be a fan - Is there any other pleasure that is quite so bitter? Many of my fellow fans of Avatar • The Last Airbender are probably feeling like they need to organize an open revolt against the movie that was released last week, and I certainly can sympathize with their reasoning. I don't, however, feel like it was the worst thing on the screen, whatever metacritic.com may put forth.

As the comic title suggests, I thought I got my money's worth. I wasn't too happy about the movie's scripting, specifically the unending amount of exposition, but really that was the only complaint I had which stood out to me when I got up to leave. Yes there are other things, but how could a movie lasting less than 2 hours possibly compare to a full season of a fantastic animated series?

We've been down this road before, and if it isn't some tobacco contaminated kryptonite, or flipping Jar Jar dancing around on screen, it's going to be something else. I for one can't think there is ever going to be an end to the phenomenon of disappointment, and so the only way to overcome it is to count down from 10, breathe deep, and revisit the material* that made us love Avatar • The Last Airbender to begin with. Trust me, it's like Robitussin for the soul.

Still though, I'm hoping the next movie is going to be a much improved sequel to heal all our gaping Avatar fanboy wounds. And I plan on lining up on release day to see that one too.

-ic

*The full series (all 3 seasons!) is also available on Netflix streaming if you have it - check it out!