Portfolio

Tuesday, August 03, 2010

Behind the Front Lines - Portrait Business Going Up a Notch

Time for an art business update.

This month begins a new serious foray into my art business over at IanCastruita.com. In the past I've always thought of portraits as a side income, but truth be told, learning more about illustration and the fine art business has made me think I might be happier making my main income from portraits - at least to start with.

In the past my portrait business has mainly come from Christmas and other holidays such as Father's Day. However I've consulted with a top-notch marketing executive, and I'm told that there is potential in dipping into the wedding market, which is why I'm beginning a Google Adwords campaign to try to drive some of that business my way.

Even though I've already started my campaign there are still a lot of things that I need to do. Fortunately my past clients have been amazing in providing testimonials to put on my website, and I've also been able to figure out a few good questions to mark down on a FAQ. In addition I imagine that I should probably put up some advertisements here on EN•blog.

I have a feeling that I still have a lot of work ahead of me, but I'm hopeful that this will end up being something that can move my career into a more solid "art-centric" direction. There is no denying that I'm still interested in becoming an illustrator and painter; for right now though, I'm hoping that this will give both of those businesses the boost they need!

-ic